Effective from 1 April 2019
For questions regarding installation, the app, third party applications, data and the automatic functions, please see the FAQ on the VELUX ACTIVE Support site . For further information about the product, compatibility & the benefits of VELUX ACTIVE, kindly see your national VELUX website.
2. Product content
VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control consists of the following elements:
- Indoor climate sensor*
- Departure switch**
- ACTIVE control (automatic sensor-based indoor climate control)
- VELUX ACTIVE app control
VELUX ACTIVE Gateway consists of the following elements:
- VELUX ACTIVE app control
- ACTIVE control (automatic indoor climate control)
3. Product specification
- Check that the gateway can operate the relevant products from the chosen position before final fixing. VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control is based on two-way RF (radio frequency) communication and marked with the symbol [↔]. This symbol can be found on the data label.
- Radio frequency band: 868.25 MHz / 868.95 MHz / 869.85 MHz (io-homecontrol® in Europe), 2.425 GHz / 2.450 GHz / 2.475 GHz (io-homecontrol® in the rest of the world), 868.2 – 868.6 MHz (indoor climate sensor* and departure switch** in Europe and China), 921.2 – 921.6 MHz (indoor climate sensor* and departure switch* in the rest of the world), 2.400 – 2.496 GHz (WiFi 802.11 b/g/n).
- Maximum transmission power: 3.2 mW (indoor climate sensor* and departure switch** in Japan), 12.6 mW (indoor climate sensor* and departure switch** in the rest of the world), 19.6 mW (io-homecontrol® in Europe), 25.1 mW (io-homecontrol® in the rest of the world), 31.6 mW WiFi 802.11 b/g/n in Europe), 100 mW (WiFi 802.11 b/g/n in the rest of the world). Radio frequency range: 300 m free field.
- Depending on building construction, the indoor range is approx. 30 m. However, constructions with reinforced concrete, metal ceilings and plaster walls with steel members may reduce the range.
- Electrical products must be disposed of in conformity with national regulations for electronic waste and not with household waste.
- Used batteries must not be disposed of together with household waste but have to be disposed of in conformity with the relevant national environmental regulations. Batteries contain substances that can be harmful if not handled and recycled correctly. Use local authority battery disposal point where available.
- The packaging can be disposed of with usual household waste.
*Only applicable for customers with an installed Indoor climate sensor
**Only applicable for customers with an installed departure switch
4. Installation & operation
To install and operate VELUX ACTIVE you must download the VELUX ACTIVE application from either Google Play or Apple’s App Store, or alternatively use the Apple HomeKit application. For further details, please see the VELUX ACTIVE Support site.
When the VELUX ACTIVE application is installed and operating, the ACTIVE control (automatic indoor climate control) is enabled. You can customize ACTIVE control at any point in time via the VELUX ACTIVE app in the settings under “ACTIVE control”. The customization can be done individually for all rooms with an indoor climate sensor*.
5. Users and guests
Please see information below in section 11 regarding the discontinuation and deletion of users (both Administrator and guests).
- VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control requires a minimal amount of maintenance.
- The surface may be cleaned with a soft, damp cloth.
- Disconnect mains or battery supply before carrying out any maintenance or service work to the window and products connected to it and ensure that it cannot be reconnected unintentionally.
- Expected battery lifetime: Min. 2 years.
- Spare parts are available from your VELUX sales company.
- If you have any technical questions, please search for technical help on the VELUX ACTIVE app or contact your VELUX sales company via the VELUX ACTIVE Support site
7. Restrictions on ACTIVE control – When does my window/blind/shutter not operate?
Under certain weather conditions, the ACTIVE control (automatic indoor climate control) will not execute its intended functions until the weather conditions again allow such execution, e.g. in the event of heavy rain, where the window will not open. In the case of certain weather conditions, you will receive a notification explaining why your ACTIVE control is not executing the functions as intended.
VELUX grants you a guarantee. The guarantee will commence from activation. The VELUX Guarantee is available on https://www.veluxusa.com/help/velux-warranty
VELUX shall not be liable in case of any of the events listed in section 9, 10 or 13 occur.
9. Third Party applications, products or services
You can choose to integrate VELUX ACTIVE with third party applications other than Apple HomeKit, products or services intended for integration with VELUX ACTIVE (eg Google Home) . These third-party applications, products or services are governed by and subject to these third parties’ terms and conditions and policies. VELUX is not liable for this integration.
VELUX is not responsible for and does not assume liability for third parties’ applications, products or services and a successful integration with VELUX ACTIVE. Moreover, VELUX does not assume liability for third parties’ errors or omissions, which results in any interruption of the operation of VELUX ACTIVE.
9.1. Apple HomeKit
VELUX ACTIVE is integrated with Apple HomeKit. This means that your interactions with the VELUX ACTIVE App control, are sent to the Apple HomeKit app (Home). The current status and parameter values are stored in the Apple HomeKit database.
Please be aware, that if you install VELUX ACTIVE via Apple Homekit, the functionality of VELUX ACTIVE is limited to product operation and display of sensor* values. You need a departure switch** to disable the automatic opening of windows when leaving your house, as you are not able to disable the opening of your windows via the Apple HomeKit app.
HomeKit (using the Home app) controlling this HomeKit-enabled accessory requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9.0 or later. Controlling this HomeKit-enabled accessory automatically and away from home requires an Apple TV with tvOS 10.0 or later or an iPad with iOS 10.0 or later setup as a home hub.
9.2. Google Home
If you decide to link your account to Google Home, you will give Google permission to control your devices. VELUX is not responsible for the integration of Google Home or the Google Home application.
VELUX uses anonymous usage data to optimise the usability of the software included in the VELUX ACTIVE products. For this purpose, we use Firebase, BigQuery and Google Analytics.
10. Updates of the VELUX ACTIVE app
You are required to always have the most recent version of the app installed. In case you refrain here from, VELUX cannot be held responsible for the operations and security of VELUX ACTIVE. Updates to the app will be made available or pushed out from VELUX A/S via App Store or Google Play and requires your action.
11. Discontinuation of using VELUX ACTIVE
If you wish to discontinue the use of VELUX ACTIVE for whatever reason, you must reset the gateway before disconnecting your gateway permanently.
Please see instructions on resetting of the gateway at your local VELUX ACTIVE Support site.
11.1. Indirect ways of discontinuation
If you wish to discontinue using VELUX ACTIVE, you must adhere to the procedure described in section 11 above.
If you do not reset the gateway, but initiate other actions, the following will occur:
You delete your user id (email address) in the VELUX ACTIVE app:
Please be aware of both scenarios described above. The Apple HomeKit app will still be active and operational until you disable the accessory (VELUX ACTIVE gateway) in the Apple HomeKit app. Please be referred to Apple’s homepage for more information.
You delete the VELUX ACTIVE app:
You stop using the VELUX ACTIVE app (inactivity):
Please be aware, if you move from your home with VELUX ACTIVE installed, you must reset the gateway before disconnecting so you can no longer control the windows via your app.
12. If you take over VELUX ACTIVE e.g. from a previous owner of your home
In case you move into a home where VELUX ACTIVE is already installed by the previous owner, it is your responsibility to reset the gateway, please see section 11. If you fail to reset the gateway, the previous owner may still have control over your VELUX products.
13. Disclaimers & safety warnings
13.1. NOT a warning device
- The product does not and cannot function as a warning device for extreme temperature conditions nor high humidity conditions.
- The indoor climate sensor* is not designed to function during temperatures outside the temperature range as described in the product specifications. This means that in case of temperatures outside of the range of the product, your sensor* values may be inaccurate and your ACTIVE control may not open and close your windows and/or accessories as per your automatic settings.
- As per above, VELUX ACTIVE is NOT a fire alarm system nor a smoke detection or ventilation system.
13.2. NO manipulation or unintended integration
- You are not allowed to manipulate the product in any way, or to combine the product with third party applications not intended for integration with VELUX ACTIVE, neither for your own use nor for further distribution.
- In case of power outage or service interruption, your VELUX products will not be able to function until the power has been restored.
- If your internet connection is disrupted, you will not be able to operate your VELUX products via the VELUX ACTIVE app. You can still operate your VELUX products via physical local controls.
13.3. Restrictions in use
- VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control can be used by persons with sufficient experience and knowledge if they have been given instruction concerning safe use and understand the hazards involved in using the product.
- Children must not play with VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control (departure switch**, indoor climate sensor* and app) at any time or for any purpose.
13.4. Moving into a home with VELUX ACTIVE installed
- In case you move into a home where VELUX ACTIVE is already installed by a previous owner, you must reset the gateway to ensure that the previous owner no longer has control over your VELUX products. If you fail to reset the gateway, VELUX shall not assume any liability whatsoever for misuse, trespassing, theft or the like as a result of your lack of resetting of the gateway.
13.5. Leaving your home
- When leaving your home, it is important that you activate your departure switch** in order to disable the automatic opening of your windows. You do this by clicking the “padlock icon” on the departure switch**, or via the VELUX ACTIVE App.
- You or guest users can at any time open the windows via physical local controls, the VELUX ACTIVE app or any third-party applications.
- If you have installed the app via Apple Homekit, you can only disable the automatic opening of your windows by using the departure switch**.
The VELUX ACTIVE content, system and product is subject to copyright, patent and trademark and other intellectual property rights. Patents and trademarks are used under license by the VELUX Group. Text, photographs, drawings, graphics, sounds, data, computer code etc. are subject to copyright owned by the VELUX Group.
Copyright VELUX A/S 2017 All rights reserved. Reproduction and distribution prohibited without written authorization from VELUX A/S. VELUX ACTIVE with Netatmo, smart solution co-developed with Netatmo Security.
15. IT Security
IT security is of great concern to the VELUX Group and we ensure IT security by different means such as technical, physical and organizational security measures. IT security for VELUX ACTIVE relates to device security, software security and data security.
Technical security measures are for example access management to it systems, encryption of data transmissions and data storage, automatic virus programs, firewall programs, server restoring and backup, access to IT systems via individual usernames and passwords, screensaver locking, control with denied access, IT security audits
Physical security measures are for example locked physical archives, access control to buildings via personal access cards, burglary alarms and video surveillance
Organizational security measures are for example training of employees in IT security, establishment of procedures and policies for IT security and personal data processing.
VELUX subcontractors are instructed to comply with similar IT security as described above and are subject to IT audits performed by VELUX.
If you would like to know more about VELUX IT security, please contact your local VELUX sales company.
For VELUX ACTIVE the following specifics apply:
All communication between the VELUX ACTIVE devices (Gateway, indoor climate sensor* switch, departure switch**, VELUX INTEGRA® products) in your home is encrypted. Please ensure that you always update your devices to the newest app software for optimal security, as described in section 10.
All VELUX controlled data communication between the VELUX ACTIVE App control and the corresponding backend systems is encrypted.
16. Declaration of conformity
We herewith declare that VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control (gateway 3LG E01/NXG01E, indoor climate sensor* KLA 300/3LA E06/NXS01 and departure switch** KLN 300/3LN E01/NXD01E) is in conformity with the Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU and the RoHS Directive 2011/65/EC and has been manufactured in accordance with the harmonized standards EN 60950(2006)+A11(2009)+A1(2010)+A12(2012)+A2(2013), EN 55032(2015), EN 301489-3 v2.1.1, EN 300220-2 v3.1.1, EN 300220-1 v3.1.1, EN 300440-2 v1.4.1, EN 300440-1 v1.6.1, EN 300328 v2.1.10 and EN 50581(2012).
*Only applicable for customers with an installed Indoor climate sensor
**Only applicable for customers with an installed departure switch
VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation.
VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation.
lf VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the indoor climate control and receiver.
- Connect the indoor climate control into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
FCC Radiation Exposure Statement
VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control complies with FCC RF radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled environment. This transmitter should be installed and operated with a minimum distance of 20 centimeters between the radiator and your body and must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter. VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control may not cause harmful interference, and
- VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
Canadian Compliance Statement
VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control complies with Industry Canada license-exempt RSS standard(s).
Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control may not cause interference, and (2) VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
This Class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control and its antenna(s) must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter.
UL 2043 Compliance
The access point has adequate fire resistance and low smoke-producing characteristics.
VELUX ACTIVE indoor climate control is suitable for operation in a building’s environmental air space, such as above suspended ceilings. The access point complies with Section 300-22(c) of the NEC and with Sections 2-128, 12-010(3), and 12-100 of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, C22.1.
VELUX America LLC.
450 Old Brickyard Road
PO Box 5001
Greenwood, SC 29648-5001
Tel – 1-800-888-3589
Web – www.veluxusa.com