Products - flexible sun tunnels
- Will VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylights help with the winter 'blahs'?
- Winter time means that lots of us get stuck indoors at home and work. Studies show that natural, full-spectrum sunlight greatly contributes to increased productivity in the workplace and to an overall feeling of well-being. Sunlight deprivation can lead to a condition that experts call "Seasonal Affective Disorder," also known as S.A.D. or the winter blahs. By bringing light from the sun into your house, or home office, a VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylight can help you beat the winter blahs.
- How much light will a flexible tunnel VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ transmit?
- A precise answer depends on many factors including the roof orientation (i.e. South is always best), tunnel length, tunnel length, tunnel bends, time of day, season of the year, etc. However, generally the 14-inch diameter TGF and TMF units are best for lighting up bathrooms, halls, walk-in closets and areas up to 10' x 10'. The 21-inch diameter TGF unit is perfect for lighting any type of room up to 15' x 15'.
- Can you help me understand more advantages of installing a flexible tunnel VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylight?
- Visit our VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylight section for detailed information.
- From what materials are the flexible sun tunnel and domes made?
- The flexible tunnel consists of a double layer of metalized polyester film with a double inner layer of reinforced aluminum Sola-film and a highly reflective ultraviolet-proof laminate. The dome is made of UV Stabilized Grade-One Acrylic (or Polycarbonate where debris resistance is needed). By improving upon the flexible tube technology used for years in the heating and air conditioning industries, we've created a way to bend sunlight around attic obstructions to create the most cost effective and energy efficient skylight system available in the United States.
- What are the advantages of the flexible tunnel VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylight?
- The flexible tunnel VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylight is the simplest and fastest way available to install any tubular daylighting device. It easily bends around attic obstructions like pipes and wires making alignment between the roof and ceiling simple.
- What is your warranty on VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylights?
- Our VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylights come with a ten year warranty. For a complete overview of all product warranties, visit our Warranty Info section.
- Will the sun tunnel fit all roof types?
- TSF and TSR sun tunnels are designed for shingle or shake roofs with pitches from 15° to 60°. Tile roofs require a TTF or TTR sun tunnel, which can be special ordered through your dealer.
- In what sizes are flexible tunnel VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylights available?
Flexible tunnel VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylights are available in two different sizes for rigid and flexible models. In all there are three different sizes:
- 14-inch diameter fits between 16" on center framing
- 21-inch diameter fits between 24" on center framing (flexible and commercial only)
- What comes in the product package?
- The dome, flashing, tunnel, hardware and everything needed for a complete roof-to-ceiling installation (including step-by-step instructions and labels) are all included. There are no tools included in the kit.
- Is the flexible tunnel VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ energy efficient?
- Yes! The TGF and TMF are 2010 ENERGY STAR® qualified
- How much tunnel comes with each flexible VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylight?
8' of tunnel is included in the standard kit for TGF/TMF 014 and 6' of tunnel is included in standard kit for TGF 021. If you need more, please contact your dealer. Maximum recommended tunnel length for 014 size is 8' and for 022 021 size is 12'. Taping tunnel lengths together is not recommended.
- Into what roof types can VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylights be installed?
- TGF and TMF are designed for roof pitches 14°- 60° (3:12 - 20:12) and for asphalt shingles and wooden shingles up to 5/16" (8 mm) thick. The tile kits ZTG and ZTM (available separately), expand the use of TGF and TMF to include profiled roofing materials (tiles) with maximum 1 ¾" (45 mm) profile height.