Products - roof windows
- What is a roof window?
- A roof window is a unit designed for installation "in-reach". The roof window sash can be pivoted so the homeowner can clean the exterior pane of glass from inside the home. Some larger roof window models meet building code requirements for egress (emergency escape). Many times roof windows are installed in attics being used as living space. (Skylights, on the other hand, are usually installed in "out-of-reach" applications, and meet most building code requirements for testing and labeling.)
- What glazing types do you offer?
VELUX offers TEMPERED glass and LAMINATED safety glass. Other special glass options are also available such as impact glass designed for hurricane prone areas and white laminated safety glass where a view is not desired and diffused light is preferred. Please refer to the website for additional glazing.
- What do I do if I see clouding or fogging between the panes of glass?
- Clouding or fogging of an insulating glass unit occurs when there is a break in the inner seal between the glass panes. As a result condensation forms between the two panes. Units manufactured after January 1, 2000 have a 20 year seal warranty. If you encounter a problem with the seal of your glass, obtain the serial number from the roof window or skylight and contact VELUX. We will be glad to help you determine if your product warranty is still in effect, and what actions can be taken to correct the issue with the seal.
- Can the glass in existing VELUX roof windows be replaced?
- Replacement glass is available, and it can be easily installed in most models. On venting skylights manufactured after April of 1996, the entire operating sash must be replaced.
- Can I apply a film to the glass to decrease heat and light?
- VELUX does not recommend the addition of any store-bought film to the glass of our skylights. The addition of store-bought film or tint will void the warranty on the glass. However, our glass is manufactured with a LoE coating and injected with Argon gas that make our skylights very energy efficient. In addition, we also offer several sunscreening options that can be added to our skylights and roof windows to regulate light and heat.
- Where is the serial number on a VELUX roof window?
- Each roof window has two identification numbers. One number is on the metal spacer between the two panes of glass after the word VELTERM. This VELTERM number is the glass identification number. The other number is found on a data plate attached to the wood of the unit. The location of the data plate depends on the product model and date of manufacture. Visit the Self Help section of the VELUX Solutions website to determine where to look for the tag number for your model.
- Does VELUX® manufacture residential dome (bubble) skylights?
- Yes. VELUX manufactures a wide range of plastic-glazed, aluminum-framed skylights, primarily for the commercial building market that requires larger opening sizes than single panel glass units can accommodate. However, the glass used in VELUX products intended for homes is safer, much more energy efficient, and is less affected by the sun’s damaging rays, when compared to the plastic used in bubbles or domes.
- Can I get special glass in my roof window?
We do have some special glass options available. The lead time on units with special glass is 4 to 8 weeks. You can inquire about glazing options with your local dealer, or contact our Customer Service Department at 800-88-VELUX.
- Are insect screens available for your roof windows?
- Yes, insect screens are included with venting skylights and are available separately for all of our roof windows. To ensure that you receive the correct new or replacement screen for your window, please obtain the serial number from that unit. If you have any questions regarding this, contact customer service at 800-888-3589.